Is Shoulder Replacement Surgery Right For You?
Total shoulder replacement, also known as total shoulder arthroplasty (TSA), is a terrifically successful procedure for treating the severe pain and stiffness that is often the result of arthritis or degenerative joint disease in shoulder joint. Although shoulder joint replacement is less common than knee or hip replacement, it is just as successful in relieving joint pain.
The most important and primary goal of shoulder replacement surgery is pain relief, with other benefits including restoring motion, strength, function, and returning patients to an activity level as near to normal as possible. We see many patients return to the sports they love like swimming, golf, and tennis, while also pursuing exercise regimens like individual training, yoga and Pilates after an appropriate time for proper healing.
Painful shoulder arthritis refers to the disappearance of the normally smooth cartilage surfaces of the shoulder, which allow the ball and socket to move smoothly against one another. When the cartilage disappears, it results in a “bone on bone” joint and can be quite painful.
There are several reasons why your doctor may recommend shoulder replacement surgery. Here’s a list of common conditions that shoulder replacement surgery can help to correct:
- Severe shoulder pain that interferes with everyday activities, such as reaching into a cabinet, dressing, toileting and washing.
- Moderate to severe pain while resting or lying down. The pain may likely be severe enough to prevent a good night’s sleep.
- Weakness and/or loss of motion in the shoulder.
- Lack of substantial improvement with other treatments such as anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections, or physical therapy.
- Other common conditions include ailments involving the surrounding ligaments, muscles and tendons, such as a torn or diseased rotator cuff or a labral tear.
If you’ve been experiencing chronic shoulder pain, don’t hesitate to come in and see us at one of our convenient locations in Treasure Valley.